The agenda for the regional seminars includes a structured dialogue which will allow States to exchange initial views on the expectations for CAAF/3 on issues such as capacity building, finance and policies to facilitate the development, deployment and access to SAFs, and will help States understand the issues and process so that they can prepare and actively participate in the CAAF/3 meeting.
Please refer to the websites below for the detailed schedule of each Regional Seminar
To assist in the exchange of views during the dialogues, guiding questions are also available on this website; participants should reflect upon these guiding questions and be prepared to address them during the dialogues.
Participants are also requested to get acquainted with all the additional materials associated with each Agenda Item, as provided below. A short self-test is also available, covering some basic concepts and information that will be presented in further detail on the Seminar. This intends to indicate the level of preparation for the discussions.
Self test - ICAO Environmental Regional Seminar Self Test (google.com)
Setting the Scene (Day 1 AM)
Overview on the 41st Assembly results, including the long-term global aspirational goal (LTAG) agreement, and the importance of cleaner energy
Outline of Secretariat presentation, to be followed by clarification Q&A (30 min):
· Milestones toward A41 and its outcomes (e.g. LTAG Report, GLADs, HLM-LTAG, A41-21)
· How fuels contribute to the LTAG
· Opportunities for States to benefit along supply chain and associated challenges
· Activities toward CAAF/3
· Assembly Resolution A41-21
· HLM-LTAG Report (available in all ICAO Languages)
· LTAG Report (available in all ICAO Languages)
o LTAG data to States spreadsheet
o LTAG Report summary with focus on fuel aspectso LTAG Supplement to 2022 ICAO Environmental Report
o LTAG Report summary with focus on fuel aspects
o LTAG Supplement to 2022 ICAO Environmental Report
Session 1 (Day 1 AM/PM)
Supporting policies to promote the development and deployment of cleaner energy for aviation – Opportunities and challenges
· Potential policies and coordinated approaches
· ICAO State Action Plans initiative
· Estimates related to SAF costs, investment needs and production capacity of facilities
· ICAO Stocktaking and Tracker Tools
· Monitoring and reporting of cleaner energy
Guiding questions for Dialogue 1 (150 min):
· What do you see as the key challenges for your State on the development of cleaner energy and its deployment (including sustainability, certification, scale-up production, distribution, access/utilization)?
· Can you share your State/Organization experience on the development of policies to foster the development and deployment of SAF, LCAF and other cleaner energy? Please describe how the policy works and any successes/lessons learnt.
Monitoring and reporting (should time permit)
· Can you share your State/Organization's experience on the collecting and reporting of data and information on SAF, LCAF and other cleaner energy in your State Action Plans? How can the ICAO guidance and tools help?
· In your view, what is the ICAO's role regarding the accounting and reporting system of SAF, LCAF and other cleaner energy in future?
· CAEP guidance on potential policies and coordinated approaches for the development of Sustainable Aviation Fuels
· ICAO guidance and tools to support the development of State Action Plans
· "Rules of thumb" – estimates related to SAF costs, investment needs and production capacity of facilities
· ICAO Tracker tools (SAF, Technology, Operations, net zero initiatives)
Session 2 (Day 1 PM)
Assistance, capacity-building and training for cleaner energy, including ICAO ACT-SAF programme
· Assembly request on means of implementation and updates on ACT-SAF (e.g. objectives and scope, status of State/Organization partners, ACT-SAF training series)
· Other activities including SAF feasibility studies
· Upcoming assistance and capacity-building activities
Guiding questions for Dialogue Session 2 (90 min):
· Can you share your State/Organization's views on the main areas of assistance and capacity-building needs?
· Do you have any feedback/suggestions for the improvement and prioritization of ACT-SAF (e.g. ACT-SAF training areas, sharing of SAF technology development, SAF feasibility studies) and other ICAO activities?
· SAF feasibility studies from ICAO-EU assistance project
· ACT-SAF series of training materials
Session 3 (Day 2 AM)
Financing cleaner energy
· Assembly request on financing (e.g. consideration of ICAO climate finance initiative or funding mechanism under ICAO)
· ICAO outreach activities with financial institutions
· Next steps on financing and ACT-SAF
Guiding questions for Dialogue Session 3 (150 min):
· Can you share your experience (challenges and opportunities) in obtaining and/or providing public or private financing to aviation-related cleaner energy projects in your State/Organization?
· Financing Aviation Emission Reductions (Guidance Document)
Session 4 (Day 2 PM)
Exchange of views on the expectations for CAAF/3
· Background on previous CAAF/1 and CAAF/2 meetings, and Recommendations and Declaration from CAAF/2 including 2050 ICAO Vision for Sustainable Aviation Fuels
· A41 decisions and process for CAAF/3
Guiding questions for Dialogue Session 4 (150 min):
· Can you share your State/Organization's expectations for CAAF/3, in support of the development, deployment and access to cleaner energy for aviation?
· What additional information does your State/Organization need to be better prepared toward discussion at CAAF/3?
· 2009 CAAF/1 report (Doc 9933) and 2017 CAAF/2 report (Doc 10109)
· Declaration from CAAF/2 including 2050 ICAO Vision for Sustainable Aviation Fuels