What does an importing State need to know?

When the aircraft is imported, the Importing State (State of Registry) will register the aircraft and issue a Certificate of Registration. More details on aircraft registration can be found in ICAO Annex 7 – Aircraft National and Registration Marks and the Airworthiness Manual (Doc 9760).


Other requirements in Annex 7 include the need for the identification plate and new registration marks must be installed. The State of Registry will need to allocate ICAO address Mode S transponder code, receive notification of de-registration or non-registration from an Exporting State. If the Importing State is a party  to the Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment, concluded on 16 November 2011 in Cape Town, and the Protocol on Matters Specific to Aircraft Equipment, the owner of the aircraft should register any Irrevocable De-registration and Export Request Authorisation (IDERA) or Certificate Designee Confirmation Letter (CDCL) with the State of Registry for record-keeping for aircraft deregistration.


In addition, the Importing State will need to issue a Certificate of Airworthiness after performing aircraft document review of maintenance,  modification records and aircraft inspection to ensure that the aircraft remains in conformity with the type design approved by the State of Registry and maintained in an airworthy condition. If the aircraft is a first of type in the State of Registry, the State of Registry needs to certify/validate/accept the aircraft type certificate. More details can be found in the Airworthiness Manual (Doc 9760).


Depending on the location and registration of the aircraft, the State may need to issue a non-revenue special flight approval/authorisation/permit if the Certificate of Airworthiness is no longer valid.

Connect with us: