Economic Policy and Regulation
ICAO's activities in the economic policy and regulation field are based on the following objectives:
Policy Analysis and Development of Guidance
- Promote the regulatory framework and guidance developed by ICAO, including those produced by the fifth Worldwide Air Transport Conference on Challenges and Opportunities of Liberalization (AT Conf/5) held in Montreal from 24 to 28 March 2003.
- Develop and update policy guidance for, and provide assistance to Member States on major regulatory issues in the economic liberalization of international air transport, such as: safety and security aspects of liberalization; air carrier ownership and control; market access (including access to airports, aircraft leasing, air cargo services); fair competition and safeguards; consumer interests; production distribution (including CRS and Internet); dispute resolution; and transparency.
- Refine and promote the ICAO Template Air Services Agreements (TASAs) for optional use by Member States.
- Study and develop policy guidance on trade in services issues, including the application to international air transport of the rules and principles of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) (see Trade in Services web page).
- Produce studies on economic policy issues of general interest to States, such as airline codesharing, preferential measures for developing countries, aircraft leasing, and slot allocation.
Policy Implementation and Monitoring
- Promote and implement ICAO policies and guidance in the field of economic regulation.
- Monitor, review, analyze and report on trends and developments in international air transport regulation (e.g. regulatory liberalization, "open skies" agreements), the airline industry (airline privatization and alliances) and in other international organizations.
Dissemination of Policy Guidance
- Promote and disseminate ICAO policies and guidance material in the field of economic regulation of international air transport, including the Declaration of Global Principles for the Liberalization of International Air Transport (PDF).
- Compile and disseminate policy guidance and information on economic regulatory issues, and keep current and effective such guidance material as: Policy Guidance on the Economic Regulation of International Air Transport (Doc 9587), Manual on the Regulation of International Air Transport (Doc 9626), and the Database of the World's Air Services Agreements (Doc 9511).
- Provide information, advice and support to Member States on regulatory policy issues through regional workshops and seminars.
- Develop information databases to assist States in their economic regulatory responsibilities, particularly with regard to liberalization.
Development and Implementation of ICAO Policies on taxation of International Air Transport.
- Foster the development and expansion of international travel and trade through ICAO's Policies on Taxation in the Field of International Air Transport (Doc 8632).
- Keep current ICAO policies on taxation of international air transport; monitor and provide support to Member States for the implementation of these policies.
Provision of the meeting facility of ICAO Air Services Negotiation Conference (ICAN) to Member States
- Organize and conduct the annual ICAN event, in cooperation with hosting States, to facilitate ICAO Member States in conducting their air service negotiations and consultations.
- Provide a forum, through the ICAN seminar session, for participating States to exchange information and views on developments in international air transport regulation and liberalization, and discuss issues of interest to the States.