Air Transport Policy and Regulation
ICAO's activities in the air transport policy and regulation field are based on the following objectives:
Policy Analysis and Development of Guidance
- Promote the regulatory framework and guidance developed by ICAO, including those produced by the sixth Worldwide Air Transport Conference on the Sustainability of Air Transport (AT Conf/6) held in Montreal from 18 to 22 March 2013.
- Develop and update policy guidance for, and provide assistance to Member States on major regulatory issues in the economic liberalization of international air transport, such as: liberalization of air carrier ownership and control; market access (including access to airports); fair competition and safeguards; consumer protection; dispute resolution; and transparency.
- Refine and promote the ICAO Template Air Services Agreements (TASAs) for optional use by Member States.
- Study and develop policy guidance on trade in services issues, including the application to international air transport of the rules and principles of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) (see Trade in Services web page).
- Produce studies on economic policy issues of general interest to States, such as airline codesharing, preferential measures for developing countries, aircraft leasing, slot allocation and and essential services and tourism development routes.
Policy Implementation and Monitoring
- Promote and implement ICAO policies and guidance in the field of economic regulation.
- Monitor, review, analyze and report on trends and developments in international air transport regulation (e.g. regulatory changes, "open skies" agreements), the airline industry (airline alliances and new business models) and in other international organizations.
Dissemination of Policy Guidance
- Promote and disseminate ICAO policies and guidance material in the field of economic regulation of international air transport such as those contained in the Policy Guidance on the Economic Regulation of International Air Transport (Doc 9587) and Manual on the Regulation of International Air Transport (Doc 9626).
- Provide information, advice and support to Member States on regulatory policy issues through regional workshops and seminars or other fora.
- Develop information databases to assist States in their economic regulatory responsibilities, particularly with regard to liberalization.
Development and Implementation of ICAO Policies on taxation of International Air Transport
- Foster the development and expansion of international travel and trade through ICAO's Policies on Taxation in the Field of International Air Transport (Doc 8632).
- Keep current ICAO policies on taxation of international air transport; monitor and provide support to Member States for the implementation of these policies.
Provision of the meeting facility of ICAO Air Services Negotiation Conference (ICAN) to Member States