Back to Initiatives & Projects List
Sustainable Aviation Biofuels for Brazil (SABB)
The objective of SABB is to carry out a comprehensive assessment of the technological, economic and sustainability challenges and of the opportunities to implement an aviation biofuel industry in Brazil, in order to create a high level roadmap for the future.
Type of pathway
Starting time and duration
April 2012 - February 2013
The initiative has convene a broad stakeholders group to build a high level roadmap on local and international knowledge in a series of workshops. The scope of these workshops includes:
- Identification of barriers and opportunities,
- Identification of alternative paths and actions to be pursued with respect to feedstock, processing and delivery,
- Economic and environmental sustainability issues,
- Scenario building and discussion.
The final goal of the study is to deliver a public report with facts based inputs for research, business and policy agendas in order to develop a sustainable aviation biofuel with high GHG mitigation potential.Project conclusions are to be delivered in February 2013.
Boeing, Embraer, FAPESP, AIAB, Amyris, Andritz, Bioeca, Embrapa, Ergostech, GE, GOL, Lanzatech, Life Technology, Neste Oil, National Wildlife Federation, Petrobras, RSB, SGB, Sindicom, Solazyme, Terrabon, Unicamp, USR
|Achievements to date|
Seven workshops have already been organised in the frame of SABB:
- feedstock in May 2012 which reviewed all families of feedstock, including sugar and starch, lignocellulose, oil plants and wastes;
- Processing technology in July 2012;
- Sustainability in August 2012;
- Policy and incentives in September 2012
- Logistics and support in October 2012
- R&D in November 2012
Project progress was presented during the 4th NIST conference on biofuels standards (Gaithersburg, U.S.A.) in November 2012.