ICAO Council President Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu (left), Prime Minister and Head of Government of Burkina Faso, the Honourable Beyon Luc-Adolphe Tiao (centre) and ICAO Secretary General Raymond Benjamin (right).
MONTRÉAL, 17 June 2014 – The Council President of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu, had the honour of receiving the Prime Minister and Head of Government of Burkina Faso, the Honourable Beyon Luc-Adolphe Tiao, for a special visit to ICAO Headquarters in Montréal last week.
President Aliu was joined on the occasion by ICAO Secretary General Raymond Benjamin, while Prime Minister Tiao and his attending Ministers were accompanied by Moumouni Dieguimde, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Burkina Faso on the ICAO Council. Burkina Faso was elected to the 36-State ICAO Governing Council in late 2013 at the 38th Session of the ICAO Assembly.
“The challenges that ICAO faces are many, and they are highly complex; we, as heads of government, cabinet members and senior officials, are fully aware of this,” commented Prime Minister Tiao during his address to the ICAO Council. “It hardly needs saying that the impact of your work here in ICAO extends well beyond the spheres of technology, environment, tourism and the economy, and influences the quality of life in society at large. Indeed, the aviation industry, by shrinking the distances between continents and peoples, makes it possible today for someone living in Alaska to enjoy roses that have been freshly cut in Africa, not to mention the medicines which, were it not for the airplane, could not be transported over the oceans and continents in time to save lives.”
“The ICAO Council is very proud to welcome the Prime Minister of Burkina Faso and the many Ministers who have accompanied him on this important occasion,” noted Council President Aliu to the visiting dignitaries. “We are very encouraged that His Excellency Prime Minister Tiao takes such an obvious interest in air transport, and that he clearly recognizes and appreciates the significant social and economic development benefits which reliable air services bring to States and Regions globally.”
Joining Prime Minister Tiao at ICAO on this occasion were:
- H.E. Mr. Jean Bertin Ouedraogo, Minister of Infrastructure, Rural Development and Transport
- H.E. Mr. Lucien Marie Noël Bembaba, Minister of Economic Affairs and Finance
- H.E. Mr. Patiendé Arthur Kafando, Minister of Industry, Trade and Crafts
- H.E. Mr. Lamoussa Salif Kabore, Minister of Mining and Energy
- H. E. Mrs. Koumba Boly/Barry, Minister of National Education and Literacy Programmes
- H.E. Mr. Paterne Kabore W., Representative of the Minister of State, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Regional Cooperation
- H.E. Mr. Adrien Kone, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Burkina Faso to Canada
- Mr. Hamado Ouangrawa, Special Adviser, Director of Communication
- Mr. Dieudonné Goungounga, Head of the Department of Economic and Administrative Governance
- Mr. Moubassera Kirakoye, Director of Protocol and Public Relations
Resources for editors:
More on the ICAO Council: http://www.icao.int/about-icao/Pages/council.aspx