The Eighteenth Meeting of the Asia/Pacific Air Navigation Planning and Implementation Regional Group (APANPIRG/18) was held in Bangkok from 3 to 7 September 2007
The Eighteenth Meeting of the Asia/Pacific Air Navigation Planning and Implementation Regional Group (APANPIRG/18) was held in Bangkok from 3 to 7 September 2007 at the ICAO Regional Office. The meeting was attended by 112 participants from 14 Member States (except for Bangladesh, Pakistan and Tonga), 6 non member Asia/Pacific States (Brunei, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Philippines and Sri Lanka) and 4 International Organizations (IATA, IFALPA, IFATCA and IBAC). Two experts from SITA were also present as observers during the meeting.
APANPIRG/18 adopted 54 Conclusions and 8 Decisions. The meeting report is available on the regional office web site: www.bangkok.icao.int
under the menu item “APANPIRG” (the username and password have been provided to all civil aviation administrations in the region).
The key technical, economical and operational outputs of APANPIRG/18 are shown below:
- Preparation for the implementation of reduced vertical separation minimum (RVSM) by China in its airspace by 21 November 2008 are ongoing.
- Creation of bird control committee by States of the Asia and Pacific Regions to prevent bird hazards in its aerodromes was agreed upon.
- Use of the ICAO Route designators (ICARD) database for the management of five-letter name codes in the Asia and Pacific Regions was endorsed.
- Implementation of the automatic dependent surveillance—broadcast (ADS-B) out service in the Asia and Pacific Regions was agreed to be mandated, with a target date of 2010.
- Compliance by States with specific formats and contents of the messages in operational meteorological (OPMET) data in accordance with Annex 3 was emphasized.
- The surveillance strategy for the Asia and Pacific Regions was developed, taking into account recent developments in ADS-B
- Regional preparations to support ICAO’s position on the protection of aeronautical frequency spectrum at the forthcoming WRC-2007 are continuing.
- The Asia/Pacific SIGMET Guide was updated to include additional material on amended SIGMET provisions.
- A task force to develop a performance-based navigation (PBN) implementation plan for the Asia and Pacific Regions was established.
- Regional agreement for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to continue as the service provider for the Regional Monitoring Agency (RMA) and Central Reporting Agency (CRA) for the Pacific Region and for AEROTHAI as RMA for the Asia Region at no cost has been reached. Furthermore, Japan and China committee to providing safety monitoring services in their airspaces at no cost.
- A regional on-line database of air navigation deficiencies has been established effective August 2007.
- Asia/ Pacific Supplement to the Uniform Methodology updated to include air navigation deficiency database.
The 19th Meeting of APANPIRG will be held from 1 to 5 September 2008 at the ICAO Regional Office, Bangkok.